Newley has woken up inside of a whale and missed their dentist
An absurd and sensuous debut play from acclaimed comic and prose
author Vincent Konrad, directed by poster boy for the fringe and
funky - George Fenn. A collective of Wellington's most renowned
indie artists have gathered to bring Konrad's sharp, surreal script
to life at BATS Theatre from 11 - 15 December.
It is the non-Christmas party of Wellington's most
prolific and talented wild cards and independent underdogs.
Everyone is invited to get weird.
Come on a voyage inside the body of the largest mammal on Earth,
where four whale-bound locals are living a humble existence in the
main chamber. Take a tour to see the lilies in the duodenum, pour
yourself a stiff whiskey, and settle down with a vintage edition of
Dolly magazine... My golly, there's a lot of things in
Life in the Whale needs some help to buy those things. A whole
"mound of things" the script calls for! Commitment to the bit means
we're going to follow this through, but all support is much
appreciated for the following items and more:
- Home dentistry kit
- Bicycle helmet
- "Large boxy mound"
- Harp and/or omnichord
- 1992 October issue of Dolly Magazine
- Cha cha outfits
- "A half-open half-battered half-empty half-sized suitcase"
- Two glasses of champagne
- And all the other regular things inside of a whale.
Sometimes you just don't know what's beyond the baleen, eh?
2018 is the Year of the Whale in Wellington, Aotearoa! Let's send
this one out with a splash.
"[Fenn] is exactly what I love about Fringe and has
embodied it again this year: off-beat, new and exciting." - Laura
Ferguson, Art Murmurs
Starring Isadora Lao, Niamh O'Keeffe, Aidan Weekes, Liam Kelly
& Catriona Tipene.
Set Design by Jennifer O'Sullivan. Sound Design by Oliver
Production Manager - Austin Harrison. Publicist - Eleanor
The creative team inside the whale are leagues above the
* Best Sound Designer - Oliver Devlin (Wellington Theatre
* Spirit of the Fringe - George Fenn (NZ Fringe, 2017)
* Risk-taker of the Year - George Fenn (PlayShop,
* Most Promising Emerging Artist - Liam Kelly (NZ Fringe,
* Most Promising Emerging Artist - Eleanor Strathern (NZ Fringe,
* Most Unique, Spirit of the Carnival, Most Outstanding
Performer - George Fenn (Comedy Carnival, 2018)